The COVID-19 pandemic has presented extreme challenges for our world as a whole, including thousands of AISD students, families, teachers and staff members. While there is no perfect solution in our immediate future, AISD must work to ensure the safety of students and employees while also providing the best academic experience possible for every student as the pandemic continues.
As a trustee, my priorities will include:
- Ensuring all campuses and district facilities are operating under the most current health and safety protocols, in conjunction with local health officials and CDC guidelines.
- Protecting the rights of families to make their own decisions about when and whether their students should return to in-person learning.
- Safeguarding the equitable treatment of all students so that neither in-person nor remote learners are disproportionately advantaged.
- Ensuring that our most vulnerable students receive the help and support they need whether in-person or remotely.
- Listening to teachers and staff members who are best informed about on-the-ground conditions in our schools.
- Continuing to search for best practices for educating students in these challenging circumstances.
- Advocating at the Texas Education Agency and the Texas State Legislature to ensure that school districts receive adequate funding to address the increased costs of remote or hybrid learning; that per-pupil funding for remote learning will continue for the length of the pandemic; and that state officials remove or reduce the burden of high-stakes standardized testing under the state’s current accountability system throughout the pandemic and beyond.